Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Difference Between (Pre-Teen) Boys and Girls

Julie was quizzing Jordan about girls in his class trying to find out whom he might "like." After getting nowhere, she moved on to girls he thought were "nice." Sarah was also very attentive to the whole conversation.

Sarah: "Yes, Jordan, nice girls like me. I'm nice."

Sarah: "Hey don't roll your eyes at me!"

The line of questioning continued. Trying to make a point to Julie about the futility of the whole conversation, I asked Jordan if he knew who in the sixth grade was wearing make-up.

Jordan: "I don't know, who?"

Sarah (exasperated): "You don't even get it! That's why girls wear make-up; to attract boys. Geesh."

I'm so glad they don't get it.

6 comments:

  1. Please don't tell me girls in sixth grade are wearing make up. I know girls aren't supposed to wear make up until Jr High at least and even then aren't they supposed to stick to lip gloss until high school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, Lisa, Lisa. It's cosmetics at 12, cosmetic surgery at 16. Lip gloss is sooo last century.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously though, I had to give Julie a knowing look a few weeks back when we saw one of the neighbor girls who had just turned 12. The make-up wasn't too garrish or over the top, but it clearly was one of her first forays into the world of cosmetics. Jordan didn't notice. Sarah did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm considering raising my girls "Amish style" when they hit 12--no garish colors or gaudy buttons. Make-up will be the furthest thing from their mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate that my boys groan if there's a kissing scene in a movie and don't care much about girls one way or the other. I know it'll be problem when that attitude changes, eeek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day as I was sitting bored in an exam room at the pediatrician's, I picked up a brouchure on puberty. It said boys can start as early as 10 and girls could start as early as 8. I realized Levi was ten and Rhyan was eight. I promptly went home and ate a whole bag of chips to drown out my sorrow.

    ReplyDelete