Several months ago, Julie & I decided to surprise our girls and purchase tickets to the Taylor Swift concert in Salt Lake City. As our non-girl child had heard enough Taylor Swift to create various mash-up parodies, to both express his desire to never hear a Taylor Swift song again and to annoy his sisters (mostly annoy his sisters), we decided not to buy him a ticket. That meant only one parent would "get" to go to the concert.
Fast forward to tonight, concert night.
6:30 - Julie leaves to pick-up Katie from her drama class and Sarah from a birthday party, neither of which are suppose to end until 7pm. I start making frosting for the brownies that Jordan must take to his Robotics club-thing meeting. (It's some sort of competition. The team name is "The Flying Flatulent Bunnies." The parent-coach didn't know what flatulent meant, but assumed it was better than the Flying Farting Bunnies. Jordan suggested the change.)
6:45 - Julie and the girls are on the freeway. Sarah believes that she is going to her drama class. She has not noticed that they are going in the opposite direction of the drama class. I am trying to decide whether I can use margarin instead of butter in the frosting recipe (I learned last time that you can't always do that). If I have to use butter, I will need to go back downstairs and get some out of the freezer. I decide that would be too much work, besides, what do a bunch of Flying Flatulent Bunnies care if the frosting is made from butter or margarin?
6:55 - Julie is looking for parking. Katie and Sarah trying to figure out why it is taking so long to get to drama class. I drop Jordan off at his club-thing. I ask if it is customary for adults to stay for the whole thing or just drop off their FF Bunny and leave. Jordan shrugs his shoulders. I leave.
7:00 - The concert is suppose to start at 7. I call Julie. She has parked. Katie has taken off her shoes. Julie tells her to hurry. Sarah asks what kind of errand requires them to hurry.
7:10 - Sarah and Katie see Energy Solutions Arena (f.k.a the Delta Center) and are upset. "You're taking us to a BASKETBALL GAME!"
7:15 - Sarah and Katie see large trailers with super-sized pictures of certain pop-star. Euphoric pandemonium erupts.
7:16 - Sarah calls me. "Dad, Dad, WE ARE GOIN TO TAYLOR SWIFT!! Ican'twaittotellallofmyfreinds." Has the concert started? "No, the ticket guy said we didn't have to hurry because it’s just cover bands until Taylor Swift starts at 8:30 and she will play for TWO WHOLE HOURS! Are you coming too?" No, no I'm not. "Oh, that’s too bad." Yes, yes it is. "Isn't Mom lucky?" Yes, very lucky.
7:45 - I start blogging. I have another thirty minutes until I have to go pick up a Flying Flatulent Bunny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are the best parents in the world. Nothing could ever convince me to be in a stadium full of Taylor Swift fans, and considering I've seen pro-wrestling events, that's saying something.
ReplyDeleteMay I also recommend the Colon Squeakers, The Irritable Ileum, the Juicy jejunum, Disordered duodenum, the rip roaring bowel bloated bacteria induced sensory trippers? My kids are so lucky that I'm their mom. Also a bonus: my boys will never want me to take them to a Taylor Swift concert. Con: I might have to take them to a pro wrestling event.
ReplyDeleteMy children will beg me to get them season tickets to the Metropolitan Opera, but I will insist it isn't cost effective to fly our private jet from our cottage in Tuscany all the way to New York to listen to a bunch of Americans (scoff scoff) sing Italian.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Dan!
ReplyDelete