1) I'm grateful for Google's new blogging statistics. I now know how pointless it is for me to blog.
2) Watching one child prepare for girl's camp and another prepare for high adventure camp, I was reminded again of the difference between boys and girls. One printed a checklist of items, carefully gathered each item two days in advance, made sure everything was labeled, and kept asking questions in the form of declarative statements: see how this shirt matches the scrubs we made. The other spent time thinking about packing while playing video games, cramming random items into his school backpack, and repeatedly said things like, "uh" or "ugh" to questions like, did you go through the checklist? and don't you think you should use the backpacking pack instead? We also got an "oh" when asked if he thought about things like a flashlight or toothbrush. (For those fluent in "grunt," my response to all of this child's camping preparations was "hmmm.")
3) On our last family visit to the library, a stumbled upon a DVD of what I declared to be the Worst Cartoon Ever: Gem and the Holograms. Julie agreed it was terrible, but thought it was no worse than G.I. Joe. I responded that while G.I. Joe wasn't great, it wasn't the worst. I mean the lasers never hit anything, the plots never changed, and knowing was half the battle. I then conceded that it was a legitimate candidate. We then discussed the lack of any merit and value to Thunder Cats (Snarf?!), Voltron and several others before Julie struck a nerve:
Julie: "..and then there's G-Force (Battle of the Planets)."
Me: "No, you can't even mention G-Force is this conversation. It has too much pure awesomeness. It was one of the first Japanese anime cartoons. Any friend or relative of any member of G-Force introduced at the beginning of the episode would be dead by the end. Mark, Jason, Princess, Tiny & Kee-ops all had cool vehicles. There is far to much, muchness and awesomeness for G-Force to even be in this conversation."
Julie: "I always wanted to be Jason 'cause he had the cool race car."
Me: "He was the rebel."
Julie: "Yah. I always had to be Princess."
That settled it. G-Force is not on this list. Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Calliou - all are worthy contenders, but G-Force is too awesome.
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If Julie puts G-Force on the list she will not be my friend anymore. That is the most awesomest show ever. Remember the matching lunchboxes?
ReplyDeleteBTW, I'm impressed your son has packed anything. Mine leaves tomorrow and hasn't even started!
I should clarify - he didn't pack ahead of time. He never looked at the list because it was an electronic version that was hidden behind several video game windows on the computer. I don't think the toothbrush or flashlight made it. He had a backpack full of something and $20 cash when he left, just before I made the original post. Julie did confirm that he had his sleeping bag (he didn't initially), so he should be able to survive the consequences of his preparedness.
ReplyDeleteAt least he thought G-Force was cool. Though on second thought, that may not help my cause...
Just to clarify, Mom knows the important things, I made SURE he had a toothbrush, toothpaste, flashlight, and clean underwear for each day. I forced him to take a jacket, and reminded him ad nauseam to pack long pants and a separate long sleeve shirt for layering on cold nights. . . he may freeze, and it won't be Mom's fault!
ReplyDelete1. Your stats will be down if you write only once every six months. C'mon, Dan.
ReplyDelete2. One night spent shivering and hungry on a mountainside is a great teacher. Just roll with it.
3. My kids just discovered Inspector Gadget, which is far far worse than I remember it being. I refuse to watch GI Joe cartoons because I know it will ruin some good TV memories for me.
Sad truth: Most cartoons you loved as in childhood will be painfully diminished if seen again as an adult. It's much easier to expose your children to the cartoons you disliked while mercilessly ridiculing said cartoons as your children watch them. That way you are not ruining cherished childhood memories and you are able to prevent terrible cartoons from infecting a new generation.
ReplyDeleteCaution: you cannot be subtle in your ridicule, otherwise rather than inoculating your children, they can become poisoned by the deadly plague of terrible cartoons.
Some cartoons never diminish in awesomeness: XMEN!!! Yep, still as awesome now as it was twenty years ago.
ReplyDeleteI believe the Care Bear movies are better as an adult. They are truly hilarious in every way! Lady Lovely Locks is the worst cartoon I have ever seen. It should be on the list.
ReplyDelete